Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A crazy question!

iow-NEW

“How we respond to difficulties will determine whether we are a winner or a whiner. One of Satan’s first temptations when our life appears to be on hold is to tempt us to live by feelings instead of faith.”
~ Michael Youssef

When I read today's quote by Michael Youssef the first thing that came to my mind was the story of lame man by the pool of Bethesda.  In the book of John chapter 5 we read:

poolbethesda

"Some time later, Jesus went up to Jerusalem for a feast of the Jews. Now there is in Jerusalem near the Sheep Gate a pool, which in Aramaic is called Bethesda and which is surrounded by five covered colonnades. Here a great number of disabled people used to lie—the blind, the lame, the paralyzed. One who was there had been an invalid for thirty-eight years. When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, "Do you want to get well?" "Sir," the invalid replied, "I have no one to help me into the pool when the water is stirred. While I am trying to get in, someone else goes down ahead of me." Then Jesus said to him, "Get up! Pick up your mat and walk." At once the man was cured; he picked up his mat and walked."

Now, when I first read this story I thought…that is a strange question for Jesus to ask the crippled man. 

“Do you want to get well?”

However, after reading it again, I soon realized that Jesus knew something about that man that we did not.

Many people, myself included, profess that they really want help and healing, yet are more comfortable being a whiner. It’s a lot easier to  make excuses complain than it is to rise up and do whatever it takes to change and become a winner. 

So, the question really isn’t crazy at all, and it echoes down through the ages to each of us today, "Do you really want to get well?"

For some of us we are crippled by our past, our hurts, disappointments, physical limitations, and secret sins.  No matter what circumstances or situation you might find yourself in today: Jesus is asking,

  • Do you want to move on?

 

  • Do you want to overcome?

 

  • Do you want to be healed?

 

  • Do you want to be set-free?

 

  • Do you want to get well?"

To receive your healing you must first desire to be changed.  We must answer, "Yes Lord, I'm ready to take up my bed and walk!”

I want to be winner, do you?

Lord, we stand before you as weak, sick and sinful people who need your healing touch today.  We are not able to heal ourselves, but we know that with one touch of your hand we will be made whole. Thank you for your finished work on Calvary.  You are faithful, you are true, and you will do all that you have promised.  Forgive me for all the times I have resisted your call to me. Your grace is sufficient.  Amen

Please join us us today over at Karen over at In Love W.I.T.H. Jesus today!

7 comments:

Sheryl said...

FABULOUS!! Loved this, every word. There is so much truth here. As I've walked through the past 2 1/2 years waiting for "healing" on all levels; I've had a choice to make. Will my attitude show that of waiting expectantly for the Lord to heal or will I sit back and complain about my situation.

I love the question of Jesus. "Do you want to get well?" Don't we all know people who say they want healing (especially from past hurts)but seem unable/unwilling to move forward?

Susan, I am going to be sending a few people here today. Really...I loved this. Sorry to ramble.

Love you.

Amico Dio said...

Preach girl! That is a really awesome take on the quote.

loved it!

Betsy Markman said...

You know, I used to think that people were crazy when they took that approach to Jesus' question, but as life as moved on, I've become more and more aware of the truth in it. Sometimes we hang onto our crippling condition because it serves us in some way, and we don't believe that freedom would serve us as well.
Thanks for reminding me to ask myself that important question. Do I want to be well?

Debbie Petras said...

So many claim that they want to be set free or healed but keep on doing the same things. And continue to whine. I think it's humbling to recognize we cannot do it ourselves. But we need to choose to accept what is needed for healing. Quit whining and start trusting Him. His ways are different than ours.

LittleWomen21 said...

This was such a great quote to start the new year off. No more whining! It has been inspiring reading your post and others based on Youssef's quote. Thank you!

Tami said...

Hmm. . .interesting twist on this quote, Susan.

Do I really want to get well?

Now you've done it. I'll be pondering this all night.

GREAT to see your name in my comment box. I miss you.

God's Girl said...

Great quote and post! Thanks for sharing! It blessed me. : )