Monday, June 30, 2008

A Change of Plans


Plans

Plans


Plans

I don’t think there is anything more exciting for me than sitting down to “make my plans”. I’m ready at all times to start my list and get things going. For me, making plans is just as much fun as the event I’m planning for.

I think it all started when I was a little girl. I planned whom I would marry, my wedding day, where I would live, and how many children I would have. I had all that figured out by the time I was about 6 years old! So, as you can see, I’ve been a busy little planner all my life.

Now don’t even get me thinking about an upcoming holiday or event, because you’ll have to hear about all my ideas on how to plan that special day. What can I say? I'm just a planner by nature.

When my younger sister was over last week, we were already planning our Christmas Tea for December. Yes, Christmas in July. Why not? It makes perfect sense to me.

Security for me is a well-made plan that is carried out to the letter. But then came those phone calls that suddenly interrupted my best-made plans.

I was only 14 years old when my mom was called to the hospital during the middle of the night. “There has been an accident”. And in one brief moment all the plans, hopes and dreams for her 18-year-old son came to a sudden end. Just like that, my brother was gone.

Several years later when I was in college, my dad called to tell me they had found cancer in my mother’s esophagus. My early college days turned into learning about that dreaded disease as I drove my mom back and forth for radiation treatments every day. My world was rocked to the core once again. Fighting for her life would be my goal that year, not grades.

And then there was that call from my cousin to turn on the late night news, only to discover it was a story about my father. As it turned out, he was struck and killed by a car while crossing the street in front of his own home. Once again, another shocking and unexpected call that turned the course of my life.

Finally, that call that only happens to someone else. This was the one I thought would be too much to bear. The doctor on the other end was saying she had found a lesion in my son’s brain. “A lesion! What is a lesion?” I frantically asked as I felt overwhelmed by this news.

Call after call; plan after plan; things change so suddenly. No warning; no time to prepare; everything going in another direction.

I expect there isn’t a person reading this that hasn’t experienced a call or some kind of event that suddenly changed the course of your life. Let’s face it; all of our best-made plans and ideas about life are subject to change at any moment.

So, what brings me comfort and peace? How can I know that no matter how plans may change it’s going to all be all right? From the beginning of time plans were made by someone much greater than us. And He has given us this glorious promise to attest to this magnificent fact in Jeremiah:



“I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you...” Jeremiah 29:11 (The Message)

Whew…just when you think things are completely out of control, and your life has been turned upside down, there is peace in knowing that it is still God’s plan to take care of you!

God’s plan is to “give us a HOPE, and a FUTURE”. God’s desire is to personally be involved in every aspect of our lives. His plan will succeed, and He never makes a mistake! I may not know the future, but I know the One who does.

I’d like to conclude with a declaration that David made concerning the plans of God.



“But the plans of the LORD stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations.” (PS. 33:11)

Oh, what security lies in this wonderful truth. Our Master Planner knows the beginning and the end of our lives, and He has promised to always take care of us!






Lord, continue to teach me what it means to truly trust in you as I commit my life and plans into your hands. Thank you for the incredible future filled with hope that awaits us, that will last forever. Bless and encourage each woman who reads this as we journey together in your purposes and plans for our lives. In Jesus name, Amen.

If you are participating today, please leave your link so that we can visit!













33 comments:

Susan said...

YAHOO!!!!
looks great!

Susan said...

oops...I'm you!

Sheryl said...

Susan, wow was that powerful. There are many tears streaming down this face at the moment. What a testimony you have. You have been through so much, yet you KNOW God is faithful.

Thank you for those words from David, "but the plans of the Lord stand firm forever". I need that reminder.

You are always such an encouragment for me. I thank God for you, Susan.

Sheryl

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing. This has been a special verse to me. You have written so lovely and touched my heart.

Thanks for your help with IOW and helping me get it off to a great start! :)

Denise said...

Thanks for being such a sweet inspiration, bless you.

luvmy4sons said...

Wow. that is a lot of sudden "changed plans". I know Jesus must be near and dear to your heart. It is God tht we have those promises from God to lean on. Hugs to you.

Amy S. said...

Susan,
My Goodness..you sure have had your challenges in life. You face it with such grace and dignity. I sure can learn from you. Thankyou for a wonderful "reality" post. Isn't it awesome to know our God is faithful and just not matter what??

Love ya my friend!

Love and Hugs..

Miriam Pauline said...

What an awesome reminder! Thanks for choosing a great verse for us to reflect on this week, I love the way the Message reveals this.

Miriam Pauline said...

What an awesome reminder! Thanks for choosing a great verse for us to reflect on this week, I love the way the Message reveals this.

Anonymous said...

I can't get your site to work in Firefox. Just FYI.

Enjoyed your post on this comment. Well done.

Thanks for hosting this week.

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

Thanks for your beautiful post! I didn't participate this week, but I think I probably could have tweaked today's post to fit this verse, too. I hope you'll go read it even though I'm not linking up here. :-)

lori said...

Now it's really me this time....
I told you last night when I read it...it was awesome..and you know I see I'm not the only one!!

You done good friend!!
(and you changed the image...look at you!!)

Thanks for hosting today...you have such wisdom..and you really do mentor a lot of us out here! ;)
hugs to ya!
lori

Faithful Froggers said...

I can definitely relate to this post! I am a planner, too, and it is hard when we realize that our plans and God's plan don't line up. But God is good and faithful and we have to trust in Him.

You have such a powerful testimony and are an inspiration to many. I just love your heart!

Tami said...

Susan,

Thanks for sharing some of you today. Knowing your trials makes me appreciate you and your sweet spirit even more. Apparently God's plans for you were to give you a soft spirit that was irresistible.

Love you,
Tami

Bonnie W said...

Susan, when I have to plan the next holiday here at my house, I'm gonna call you! Actually I do a lot of event planning myself, but where I fall short is the actual "doing" of the plans LOL!

Great post and thanks for the reminder to trust His plans for my life.
Bonnie

Karen said...

That was a really great post. I'm not so good with planning as you. Praise the Lord that God is great at what He does as long as we trust him.

Christina said...

I plan too so I know exactly where you are coming from. You have had a lot of things in your life that made you the woman you are today and that could of gone either way so I am glad to see you have chosen the faithful path, this really inspires me. I am keeping my eyes on the Lord right now and I know He has it all under control.

Once again awesome post. One that really makes me think.

~Amy~ said...

Wow Susan that is alot of trials and changes of plans. But you are so correct in saying that God is with us giving comfort, peace, and he holds our future plans in our hands. Thanks so much for your post today.

Unknown said...

Susan...

This is beautifully said. God has a plan for it all. I know too well how those phone calls send our best laid plans all askew and I wrote about how it works in my life today. Thanks for a wonderful quote, an amazing story and sharing your heart today.

Blessings.

Chocolate and Coffee said...

What a great verse and an awesome post. Thanks for hosting for us this week.

Blessings to you!

Melanie said...

Wow, Susan! This was a post I needed to read today and be reminded of God's plans vs. my plans.

I, too, am a planner and I've had alot of things planned out in my life for quite some time. Over the last year or so, God has been slowly moving in and showing me what HE wants instead. While painful and slow at times, it has also been a powerful experience and one that has led me closer to God.

The last few weeks have been a bit frustrating, though, and I've let my desires get in the way of God's. Your post today reminded me in a great way that I need to sit back and let God... He way is the best and it WILL all work out if only I will be patient and still and listen.

Thanks for your insight! Have a great day!

Tea with Tiffany said...

I see beauty in your suffering. I see Jesus.

Thanks for sharing how God plans are good through the hardest of times.

And thank you for always reaching out to me. I'm feeling so behind. Losing strength as I try to finish strong. I keep saying God is able. When I'm weak, He is strong.

Hugs, sweet one.
Tiffany

Tracy said...

Susan,
This positively gripped my heart! The depth of faith in your humbled heart, in the face of such trials is a beautiful challenge and encouragement to me. Thank you.

Tracy

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Susan~
So powerful....so true...and SO me!!! I too am a HUGE PLANNER by nature...and often my world comes unglued when my best laid plans are interupted.

I know, that that is why the Lord has me in this certain season of my life. He's teaching me to turn all of my worries...fears....stresses...and MAINLY...my control to him...for he needs to be the one sitting on the throne of my heart, rather than myself.

THANK-YOU....THANK-YOU...THANK-YOU friend...for touching me today.

Jennifer said...

Great post!

Heather said...

Sorry I didn't participate today Susan. I just had too many other things on my plate. What a great post and a great verse to contemplate.

Anonymous said...

what a powerful testimony. I can relate to the planning... i like planning far too much!

Julie said...

Susan, This was a very beautiful post.

That is one of my alltime favorite verses.

Thank you for sharing your heart and journey.

I realized something last night while talking to my husband... I was a HUGE planner. I'm not so much anymore, though I still like a plan. I don't know what changed in me, maybe that God changed the plans so often that I began to give up. Regardless what I realized in my own life was that I became a planner who stuck to her plan because it made me feel safe. I never knew that about myself...

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Julie

Addicted to Beadz said...

Susan,

I agree with my friend, Sheryl. That was powerful. There has been a lot of losses in your life. It is awesome to see that you're still standing tall AND it is because of your trust and faith in the Lord.

Get this, Susan, my Dad had esophageal cancer, also. Too wild! That is another nasty cancer! You didn't finish the story on your Mom. Was she able to beat her cancer?

Our trials here on earth mold us and make us what we are today. You are a beautiful person, inside and out.

Life here on earth is just a journey, but oh how FABULOUS it will be when we reach our destination.

Be Blessed~
Love you,
Cheryl

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

If I had known twenty years ago the way my life would go, I doubt I would have had to strength to walk it through. I think it is a good thing that we don't always know the particulars. However, this one thing I must know. My God will give me all I need to get through the planned as well as the unplanned. As I reflect in hindsight, he did. He still does.

That's the courage and hope I can take into my tomorrow.

Thank you for sharing so candidly about your journey. You are a precious saint of God!

peace~elaine

Denise said...

I know that I know that I know, that He is able to keep me regardless of what life will bring my way!!!!! Great post....

Have a wonderful 4th

Maxine said...

This was so touching to me, Susan. You are so right about the fact that we've all had these phone calls.But you seem to have had quite a measure of them. Thanks for being such a witness to the power of God in a person's life. You've been an inspiration to many of us.

Masquerading Mom said...

Susan,

I am so sorry to be so late reading your (and everyone else's) blog! It has been a really crazy summer!

I really liked this post! It is just the way things are! You plan for things, and life never seems to agree with you.

One of my favorite verses is Proverbs 16:9

"The mind of man plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."
(NAS)

So many times God has shut or opened doors that I never would have, and it has always been for the best---even Zach's own brain tumor!

It would be difficult to describe to some people the blessings that come from tragedies, and though I know that we would all like to remove the difficult times and the mistakes, it is still such a blessing to know that God really is in control.

Thanks for this encouragement today.